Thursday, January 29, 2009

Daring Bakers - Tuiles

While most people made resolutions to lose weight, I resolved to bake more and joined the Daring Bakers Group! Lucky for me, my first month with the group brought a relatively easy challenge!
This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux. Thanks ladies for a super fun (and yummy) challenge!
A tuile is a light, dry, crisp cookie that is molded into tiles or other shapes. Tuiles that are formed into cups can hold a wide variety of fillings, such as mousse or ice cream. For the challenge, I used some handmade stencils to shape the tuiles into flowers and circles before baking and then formed them into little cups while they were still warm. For the stencils, I used some quilting plastic that I cut into 4" square and I used my Sizzix die cut machine to cut the shapes. The possibilities are endless! When my cups cooled, I filled them with mango mousse and gave them a drizzle of strawberry coulis. I had intended for the coulis to go on the plate as garnish but I thought it looked much yummier right on the cookie! They tasted great!

I also filled a couple of my cups with some leftover cream cheese filling from my Berry Surprise Cake and topped them with a slice of mango, a dollop of whipped cream, and a sprinkling of cinnamon! Fabulous!


Finally, I put some mango mousse in cup, topped it with a smidge of coulis, a dollop of whipped cream, and used a flower-shaped tuile as a garnish (and an edible spoon)!


I had a ton of fun with this challenge! I had never made tuiles but will definitely be making them again. Please check the Daring Bakers Blogroll to see all of the yummy concoctions from the rest of the group!

14 comments:

Jo said...

Great job on your tuile challenge and the fillings look delicious.

vibi said...

I did too! ...have a ton of fun with this... ain't it cool to now decorate any simple dessert into a 5 stars hotel looking plate?
I love you flower-plate... I might even try it sometimes; it'd be great for summer bbq, to impress the gallery! LOL
As usual Kimberly, my visit paid off with eye-candy!

natalia said...

I love the shape of your tuiles ! I must discover what you used ! Ciao

Karen Baking Soda said...

Welcome and congrats on a well done challenge! The shapes look so festive!

pixie said...

Welcome to the daring bakers! Great first challenge! Your tuiles look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done!

Anonymous said...

I love your tuiles, they're perfect! Nice tropical fruit combination too. Great job.

Cathy said...

These are unbelieveably beautiful. Worthy of the finest restaurants. You Daring Bakers amaze me!

Unknown said...

I'm drooling they look so good! Great job on the tuiles!

Tammy said...

congratulations on your first challenge! You did a great job!

zorra said...

Welcome to the group! I'm glad you had fun with the tuiles.

Audax said...

I also enjoyed this challenge. Congrats on joining DBers!!!!! Just love your shapes and the fillings you choose.

zorra said...

Well done and I'm gald you had fun with this challenge!

Eat4Fun said...

Congratulations on completing your first DB Challenge! Great looking results and variations. Also, great New Year resolution - Bake more! :)