Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TWD - Coconut Butter Thins


When I read through this recipe and spotted coconut, macadamia nuts, and lime as ingredients, I was immediately put in an island state of mind. When I spotted key limes at the grocery store, I knew I had to have them! Would anyone know the difference if I substituted key lime zest for regular lime zest? Nope. But I would know and adding key lime zest makes me happy. :)

The recipe states that the cookies should come out "wafery" and "lacy". Anyone who has known me for more than 5 minutes, knows that I do not like thin crunchy cookies. "Wafery" and "lacy" are not what I look for in a cookie, so I put the baking sheets in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking them and removed them from the oven at exactly 18 minutes. The results were perfectly square little butter cookies that resembled a shortbread.
I baked the cookies on Sunday afternoon and as I stood at the kitchen window, nibbling on coconut and key lime, I was transported to a lovely little key, swinging in a hammock, and watching the sunset. In reality, I watched big fluffy flakes of snow fall from the sky and blanket my yard in white. I swear they were mocking me. The cookies were delicious and super easy to bake. I will definitely bookmark the recipe to make again and again!
This weeks recipe was chosen by Jayne of The Barefoot Kitchen Witch. You can find the recipe on her blog or on page 145 of Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From my home to Yours". Please visit the TWD Blogroll to see what the rest of the bakers did this week!

14 comments:

Pamela said...

I really loved these cookies...probably too much! Hope the snow ends soon!

Sabrina said...

Very nice job! They look great!

vibi said...

But they are! But they are... thin a crunchy cookies!!! ...and yet, you enjoyed them!

I'm glad you had a change of mind about them... for thin a crunch can also mean delicate and lacy! Yummy! wouldn't you say? LOL

Very well done, I'm glad you ended up enjoying them so much!

Flourchild said...

Oh so you scored too on the nuts..way to go! I was thrilled to have found them.
Your cookies look so good and you did a wonderful job with the photo showing the lime by the cookies..very nice touch!
Im glad they turned out good for you!

Cathy said...

Your cookies look gorgeous! We really loved these too. They totally made me yearn for warm weather!

Leslie said...

I'm so impressed that yours really held their shape! I bet the time in the freezer, plus taking them out at 18 minutes, had a lot to do with it. I LOVE key limes (probably from growing up in Miami) and get very snippity when cooks on TV make a key lime pie making regular limes. What the heck do they think makes it a key lime pie, anyway??

mike said...

If I see one more perfectly square cookie..... :)

Love these! They look perfect - I just never got the hang of it. Loved the lime combination too - excellent job!

Katrina said...

Glad you loved them so much. Great write up. We were watching ice rain out our window at the same time. Sigh. Spring? Hello? Are you there?

margot said...

Yours look perfect. It was sunny where I live, but mine looked like snowflakes. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Teanna said...

How did you get them to be so perfect! Mine spread like crazy, I had to force them into tart shells! Hahah! They look delicious!

TeaLady said...

These were pretty darn tasty, weren't they. Yours look fantastic.

Jacque said...

I'm with you! No crunchy cookies.

Yours look perfect :)

Steph said...

I would be so excited if I saw some key limes at my grocery store. The cookies look great!

Anonymous said...

They look like they should be a new line of Girl Scout cookies!