Tuesday, February 16, 2010

TWD - My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

This week's selection is from Kait, from Kait's Plait, who chose "My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies". You can find the recipe on Kait's blog or on page 68 of Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From My Home to Yours".

Right out of the gate the following words fill my heart with dread ... Thin. Crunchy. Cookie. In case you missed the memo. I do not like Thin. Crunchy. Cookies. My mission this week became three-fold. Part one - make something my son will like, part two - make a cookie that is neither thin nor crunchy and part three- make them Valentine's Day appropriate. Mission impossible?

My son recently became hooked on ice cream sandwiches made with chocolate chip cookies so I thought I would try to make ice cream sandwiches for him. With the first batch of cookies, I scooped the dough with a big disher and refrigerated them before baking in order to reduce spreading. That didn't work out ... I got Thin. Crunchy. Cookies. that were oddly shaped (as opposed to the perfectly round cookies I was shooting for!)


Next! I moved on to Valentine's Day appropriateness with a silicone heart-shaped muffin pan. I had some difficulty with the edges of the cookies climbing the sides of the pan and some sinking in the middle of the cookie but after a bit of playing around, I managed some good heart shaped cookies! These cookies were thick but still a little on the crunchy side.

With two-thirds of my mission complete, I decided to go back to part one - "kid friendly". I went with heart-shaped ice cream sandwiches using Dorie's recipe for vanilla ice cream and they turned out thick and delicious! I can see the appeal of these yummy treats!

Please check out the rest of the TWD bakers to see how their spins on these chocolate chip cookies.

8 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

How cute! the heart shaped cookies look really nice and yummy :)

Leslie said...

Those heart shaped cookies and cookie sandwiches are adorable! Talk about putting a positive spin on the recipe!

Mary said...

The ice cream sandwiches look amazing! They are thick and chewy-looking, just the way I like them. I got thin cookies too, but I gave them all away, and my friends loved them, so I was happy with the results.

Kaitlin said...

I love ice cream sandwiches - I'm practically frothing at the mouth right now! I bet your son loved it.

Flourchild said...

I need to have some of that last picture..yummy! YOur cookies look festive and cute!
I loved this recipe too and plan to make them again!

Cakelaw said...

Love the heart-shaped icecream sandwiches - perfect for Valentines Day.

vibi said...

How so, so, so pretty... heart cookies! Really, very creative! ...and double heart cookies on top of it! Mmmmmm... good for two souls!

Susan said...

Love the heart shaped ice cream sandwiches and the darling plate they are on! Too cute!