Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TWD - Raisin Swirl Bread

This week, Susan of Food.Baby picked Raisin Swirl Bread for our baking pleasure. Yeast is not my friend so I'll admit to being pretty intimidated by this week's recipe. All was well in the beginning, I got a nice proof and a good rise. I let my dough rest overnight in the refrigerator and unfortunately, once my dough didn't rise well once it arrived in the bread pan. The bread tasted good but was much denser than I expected. Dorie suggests toasting it for maximum flavor and, as usual, she was spot on.

A cajoled my son, who doesn't eat anything I bake, into trying a piece of toasted raisin bread slathered with butter. His assessment ... he didn't spit it out which is high praise in our household! I'm looking forward to turning this bread into french toast this weekend!

Please visit the rest of the TWD bakers to see how they did with their bread this week.

16 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Yay! for not spitting it out.

I loved this bread.

Flourchild said...

Im glad your family enjoyed the bread! It looks yummy!

Tia said...

how do you get the swirl so perfectly centered? i'm in awe!

Cindy said...

French toast sounds good, I think I will turn mine into bread pudding.

Heather Davis said...

Looks great! :)

The Mortensens said...

Your swirl looks so good! You did a great job. :)

Lynne Daley said...

Beautiful swirl! It must have been a great success if your son didn't spit it out. French toast with the leftovers sounds awesome.

Anne said...

Yum, I bet it was delicious toasted! Glad you enjoyed it!

Susan said...

Your bread looks perfect! I am saving half of mine for french toast this weekend too!

Katrina said...

What a PERFECT swirl! This was such great dough to work with. Can't wait to splurge and make the actual bread sometime.

margot said...

Pretty swirl! I haven't tried it toasted yet, I think I will have to tomorrow morning.

natalia said...

Ciao ! Glad for the success !! Maybe the bread was still too cold to raise

TeaLady said...

Looks perfect. Glad this one was a 'hit' and didn't end up chewed and on the table.

Spike said...

looks great- glad it was enjoyed (?) by your son!

Piggy said...

Glad that your son did not spit out the bread. :-) And I think that yours looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

This one I may need to try. I mean, you talked me into the giant book (not that that was a difficult chore) and I think I have...made cheesecake. That's it.

As usual, I want smell-o-vision on my computer and I now need to wipe the lick marks off of the monitor.