Tuesday, June 29, 2010

TWD - Rum Drenched Vanilla Cakes

Mmmmmm ..... rum .... This week's Tuesday's with Dorie assignment, Rum Drenched Vanilla Cakes, comes from Wendy of Pink Stripes. You can get the recipe at Pink Stripes or you can find it on pages 226 and 227 of Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From My Home to Yours". This cake is super easy to make and comes together in a single bowl! I halved the recipe, also easy to do if you are mathmatically challenged as I am, and got six mini bundt cakes. The batter was smooth as silk and honestly, I would have been perfectly content to sit down with the bowl and eat it with a spoon!

I mentioned previously, that it's strawberry season in these parts so I have an overabundance of berries (22 pounds at one point)! Although the cakes were delicious on their own, I topped mine with strawberries and freshly whipped, lightly sweetened whipped cream. So good!

Please visit the rest of the TWD bakers and see how they did this week.

15 comments:

Valerie Gamine said...

You cakes are adorable! As someone who is also mathematically challenged, I love it when Dorie's recipes are easy to divide. :D

Leslie said...

Mmm, fresh strawberries and cream...so summery!

Anonymous said...

You have my office address. please ship.

Bella Baker said...

I love your mini bundts! 22 POUNDS of berries!!! HOLY! That is amazing!

The Mortensens said...

The fresh strawberries and whipped cream look like a great addition! I bet it was delicious!

Nickki said...

Your cakes are gorgeous! I am also mathematically challenged, so I was pleased this recipe was easy to divide in half! :-)

Marthe said...

Topping these with berries is a perfect idea!! Gorgeous!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Dressing this up a bit makes a major difference.

Anonymous said...

Your mini looks so good with the strawberries and whipped cream. It's like a strawberry daiquiri cake!

Peggy the Baker said...

Your cake is so cute and I loved the idea of strawberries!

Piggy said...

We have the same mini bundt pan. ;-)

vanilla cake and strawberries sound like a great combo, yum!

Mary said...

These look great as mini bundts! I have to get one of those pans. I bet the strawberries and cream were a great addition.

TeaLady said...

these were a perfect foundation for anything. but also good by itself. looks delicious with the strawberries and cream

spike. said...

love the look of them with strawberries- perfectly summery

Lynne Daley said...

Your mini bundt cakes with strawberries and cream look delicious! I loved the ease of preparation as with most pound cakes, you have to cream the butter and sugar.