Tuesday, July 6, 2010

TWD - Tarte Noir

This week, Dharmagirl of bliss: towards a delicious life chose Tarte Noire for our baking assignment. Please visit Dharmagirl's blog for the recipe and/or you can find it on page 351 of Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From My Home to Yours". I made a full recipe of the tart crust and the chocolate ganache but baked up mini tartes. The baby's a super smooth and delicious and very easy to make! I followed the recipe as written but after the fact I started second guessing myself and think I should have squeezed in a layer of peanut butter somewhere ... or perhaps a peanut butter shortbread crust? Mmmmm - next time!


My son had a friend visiting while I was baking and his friend was pretty insistent on trying a piece of "chocolate pie". I knew he wouldn't like the "grown up" chocolate (bittersweet) but finally relented and let him have the nearly empty ganache bowl. He disappeared into the living room thinking he was going to lick the bowl clean. Two seconds later he was back gagging like he had swallowed turpentine. Boys do not listen. Ever.


Please visit the rest of the TWD Bakers to see how they did. I'm SURE someone found a way to get peanut butter in the tarte!

18 comments:

The Mortensens said...

I think PB would make a great addition to this tart! Yours looks fantastic!

Amber Marie said...

Hilarious about your son's friend. I could have definitly licked the bowl clean - this looks great!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Yours has real class. It is luscious looking.

miss kate said...

I love the "grownup chocolate" story. I bet he won't demand anything else anytime soon. :-)

Susan said...

Oh my...peanut butter. Definitely next time. I added caramel to mine, just a thin layer on the chocolate crust. It was so good! Yours look perfect!

Valerie Gamine said...

LOL! That poor kid had no idea that he hit the chocolate jackpot.

Beautiful tart!

AmyRuth said...

Isn't that just beautiful? I tell you what, I will take care of that bowl. funny thing my hubs doesn't care so much for bittersweet choco although he likes dark roast "bitter" coffee. What is with that? I can't figure it out. Anyway, boys! Yours is really lovely without the fussy PB. No worries in my book.
AmyRuth

mike said...

Stop... peanut butter? That will have to be on my next tart list - what a great idea. This looks heavenly - so glad everyone enjoyed them!

Cakelaw said...

Your tart is perfect! LOL at your little boy - kids don't listen. I on the other hand could happily lick the bowl clean.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

could anything look any better than that torte!!! that chocolate is calling to me!
And you sound surprised that boys never listen...lol

Lynne Daley said...

Peanut butter would have been a great addition! Your tart has beautiful light on it. Wonderful job!

Paula said...

PB would be good. My husband kept saying it needed a smooth fruity flavored layer--like preserves I guess. He even tried orange marmalade and loved it.

We used to tell our boys, "you'll like it someday when you grow up." I suspect it applies to your story too.

Hindy said...

Your tart looks gorgeous au natural, but PB would be a delicious addition. Lovely photos!

Bella Baker said...

yum! Looks delicious!!

TeaLady said...

Looks perfect. Adding PB?? to the crust!! Awesome.

Jacque said...

Oh yea, peanut butter... wish I'd have thought of that.

Your tart looks picture perfect!

Jeannette said...

Hahaha when will boys learn that women are always right?? ;)

Well, at least us grown ups like it ;)

dharmagirl said...

ooh la la, your tart looks splendid!

loved the story about your son's friend.

thanks for baking with me:)